Saturday, April 18, 2009

creativity

I enjoyed sleeping in my own bed last night after being in Reno this past week and house/teen/dog sitting the past week. In a few small ways I'm not looking forward to the upcoming trip to Los Angeles. I'm definitely excited about what I'll be doing while in Los Angeles, but not exactly thrilled about sleeping in four different people's homes and a hotel over the next 9 nights. But I'm excited to share these experiences with my good friend Lara! That's a highlight of the upcoming trip and seeing some people I love and miss who currently live in Los Angeles is also a highlight for me. I'll be sure and take lots of pictures of the ocean! I'm sure I'll be jet-setting to the coast on every possible occasion :)

-------------

I have realized that with all this moving around, I haven't really been able to settle into the creative flow that I would like to pursue. There have been so many adjustments with this new ministry position, that my schedule just seems choppy and chaotic. I know those are feelings but I think I'm sort of a homebody snob. I need to have a place that I can create the kind of atmosphere that is welcoming and warm for me and the ones I want to have around. That's hard to do when you're living with your parents.

My mom noticed a few pieces I painted and sketched while in Budapest and said, "I didn't know you did that." I was able to tell her about the Monday nights in Budapest where I had girls over and we painted and created things. For me, there's something medicinal about it. This is one of those things I'd like to set up again very soon.

I pulled out the guitar today and practiced some chord combinations, trying to find out the sounds I like. Martin Luther had a dream and I have one too - writing and playing my own song or two on that darn guitar. It doesn't seem like I catch on quick enough but I really haven't put that much energy into it. I do enjoy it and would love to learn more. It was fun today as I went through some old files and I actually found a song that my sister and I wrote about my Grandma, probably almost 4 years ago. It's actually pretty good, if I can remember to play it at the same tempo I originally had when I created it.

The third aspect of creativity I'd like to explore is sewing. I almost wandered into a fabric store to get a pattern and start with something. But then I thought I should take one of the shirts I really like and own and make that my pattern. We'll see. I was on my way somewhere when the thought crossed my mind and didn't have a chance to do it.

Finally, if it all happens as Lara and I have been talking about this past year, we will be moving to the Sacramento area. I hope we can find a house for rent with an extra bedroom for guests and for a craft room. If we get a house, (even if we don't), I want to start a garden. Veggies that won't die easily - tomatoes, salad and then some fruits - strawberries or something.

------------------

I've been using the RICE on my knee. I think it helps. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. I am about to go for a run again and in the off times, I try and keep it iced and up. I think it's helping do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment