Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Sprint Tri and why this weather excites me!



Over the years, people I know have trained for the Ironman Triathlon. Although I admired their dedication, I thought they were crazy! I couldn't really understand why it was so addicting.......until two years ago when I did my first event, a much shorter version - The Sprint Tri.

While living in Budapest, Hungary, a teacher I worked with sold me her daughter's bike. For whatever reason, this started my journey towards Triathlon. I started with something I love and I biked all over that beautiful city. Something came alive inside of me. I loved it! Then my bike was stolen and I borrowed Chris' mountain bike. Yep. I was addicted because riding a mountain bike through the city is total commitment. One of my favorite places to bike was Margaret Island. It wasn't long before I noticed an amazing aquatic center on the Island. I started swimming regularly there and one day I happened to stumble upon a padded running course around the Island. I'm not sure how or when, but something clicked - run, bike, swim.....

Then I realized....
1) I would have to run. (did I mention I hate running?)
2) I would have to train.( I imagined the worst. My time sucked into the vortex of Tri training. But I soon was encouraged to find that I didn't have to be the crazy, psycho woman training for an Ironman. Couch Potato's could do it and be relatively successful. :)

My first Sprint Tri took place outside of London in Eton and WOW! What an experience. My good friend Lara joined me and was such a support! Tosin pitched in by letting me use his bike! I will never never forget the incredible feeling when I finished. I trained well. I followed a beginners Tri training guide and that went well! I was so inspired when I finished that I was ready to do another one right there on the spot!

My second Sprint Tri took place in Auburn, California and I was much less prepared. Not only was the course hilly and rigorous, I hadn't trained as consistently as I did for London. I learned a lot from that race, basically that I'll never repeat Auburn. It was TOUGH and when it ceases being enjoyable, I cease to desire to go.

More recently, I've been building a base on treadmills and stationary bikes for 2010 Sprint Tri events. When I think about the next event, I get super excited. This year, I really want to do one by the Ocean. It's all about the surroundings for me. We'll see. There are a few in the Bay Area that I've got my eye on. I'd also like to do the Pyramid Tri.

One thing I've learned is that winter training can really be an asset. Treadmills and stationary bikes aren't all bad - they can keep you moving through the Winter weather. Although I prefer running on trails outside, the treadmill has become my friend.

Today the sun was shining and there was a glimmer of hope that Spring is near! Something inside came alive and I got excited as I thought about the training that is to come. I'm thankful for vitamin D in Reno. I love that sunshine. And I'm thankful that training will soon be mostly outside very soon.

I've got a lot of possibilities in mind for 2010 events, but nothing set in stone. I'm pretty sure I will do my first 2010 Tri in April. But I'm working on working in a half-marathon, to kick this running thing in the pants. But, again -- that's another reason why I love the Sprint Tri. It's a great way to mix it up! Not just running, but biking and swimming too! :))

1 comment: