Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A great book....




I recently picked up a book that I've had for over 5 years. I read this book when I wasn't in a relationship and practically underlined the entire thing. The book just resonates on so many different levels for me. When it comes to women, we are complex creatures who are able to juggle a lot of things at once and most women I know do a very good job at it.

But authentic living is found in contentment and in balance. This book reminded me that first you have to be content and love yourself before you can love others. If you think that sounds too introspective, then might I remind you that Jesus said it first. Love others AS you love yourself. The point is for women, we can be very giving creatures with a tendency to forget self in the midst of life -- especially mammas who are juggling young kids or facing the teen years. This book reminded me that even in the stage of life I'm in, with a new man in my life after MANY MANY years of being single, I still must care for and nurture myself. Yes the Bible talks about dying to yourself but for most giving women who give of themselves day and night, that might not be the whole truth they need to hear. Yes, we need to die to self but we also need to love others as we love ourselves.

The second portion of the book talks about your relationship with a man. Good stuff. Haven't got that far again yet but one thing I appreciate is TD Jakes poetic way of saying things. It resonates with my soul. That's the color inside :)

Finally, the last portion of the book talks about your relationship with the Lord. There's one quote in there that I love.

"In the stillness of the night, when he has gone to sleep and there are pending issues on her mind, it is her Lord who works the night shift and watches over her in the dark. He is the one whom she can talk to when her words cannot describe what she is feeling. Her husband may understand what she says, but her Lord understands what she feels."

mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm. :)

good stuff.

Jen

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny,

    I came across your blog randomly because of your references to stage of life moments (my Google alert service mentioned your blog).

    We're always looking for more people to participate in the conversation and share wisdom and advice with the world - feel free to share a story on your site.

    I wish you the best!

    Eric
    CEO/Founder
    StageofLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen can't wait to read this book next with the book club. I am so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to it too, Noel. :)

    ReplyDelete