Friday, April 27, 2012

Your sense of Proportion

"Keep your sense of proportion by regularly, preferably daily, visiting the natural world." Catlin Matthews
Visiting the natural world on daily walks outside is medicinal. When I get the chance, I love taking lunch time to enjoy the outdoors. In Minden, it was a long stretch of back roads by some cow pastures and a few horse ranches. Smelly on occasions but fantastic for views of the mountains through Carson Valley.
Now, I hear the rushing sound and sights of the Truckee River but sometimes it isn't enough. I keep thinking I need to bring my fishing pole or swim shorts to hang out in the water on some days. But I walk and watch as fly fisherman are out trying their hand once again to catch those watery creatures below. Birds chirp in trees all around. People and their dogs seem to enjoy this little trail too or picnic along the way and as the weather gets hotter, people gather. But no matter what time of the day I try and get out for lunch.
In the Spring, Summer and Fall when the weather gets nice and it's hiking time, there's another opportunity to basque in the beauty of the outdoors. Camping and hiking are a nice reprieve from the daily grind. And while outside, exploring the incredible things God has created all around, I'm kept humble. I see things in proportion. My little problems, my little complaints are absolutely nothing in the overshadowing revelation that God created all things and holds all things in His hand. He will work out whatever is my momentary challenge. "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." John Muir I also come back with fresh eyes to see humanity. In all our quirks and roughness, we are tied together. What I do affects others. How I live counts. And yet the whole world isn't centered on me. I am not the center of this universe. My sense of proportion is strengthened and invigorated to live this thing we call LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment