Wednesday, January 19, 2011

God is Power












Last night James and I watched part of the old classic movie, Chariots of Fire. Eric Liddel was supposed to follow in his family's footsteps and become a vocational minister. His sister gets so distraught that Eric focuses instead on running instead of helping her with the mission. We laughed at how uptight and sour she gets about it all.

I was inspired at how Eric uses that platform to make comparisons between faith and running a long distance race and speaks to a captivated audience that wants to hear about his running experiences.

At one point in the movie, a professor or student or someone (can't remember now) makes the comment that God is a benevolent dictator. James so clearly pointed out that God is not a benevolent dictator. He IS power. He doesn't need to take power from somewhere or something else. As I've stewed over that today, I've come to recognize and embrace once again that God needs nothing from man. He is all knowing, all powerful and yet He has extended His hands to us.

Sometimes we relegate God to a place in our mind that fits in a box. But He's so much bigger. Another reason to bow down before Him.



2 comments:

  1. And yet... He chooses to use us instead of just doing the job himself! that is what I never will understand. that He left us to do even greater than He did baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true sis. I'll never understand but I'm so thankful to be a part. :)

    ReplyDelete