Monday, December 27, 2010

Blessed when I don't see but believe


Recently there have been some programs on NatGeo and in the news that have called into question the accounts of Jesus' birth and of King David's reign and kingdom.

Did his birth really happen in December?
How big was King David's actual kingdom?

Prior to becoming a Christ follower, I did a little research into a few different religions and I came across a 2 volume set called "Evidence that Demands A Verdict". What I remember from those books is that what cannot be called into question are the extra-biblical accounts that a man named Christ lived and was crucified under the reign of Pontus Pilot and that he had a ton of followers, who, to this day, proclaim His basic tenants of faith, all of which affirms the Biblical accounts.

As years go by, various artifacts and remains of antiquity continue to be found and only serve to strengthen Biblical accounts. But what I find fascinating as a Christ follower today is that for some reason, I'm not shaken by these reports on NatGeo and the 5 o'clock news. I mean, scientists had to downgrade a planet a few years ago, one I was convinced existed in planetarian form all of my growing up years, for crying out loud!! So Scientists get new information, "Scientific facts" are changed too. I trust scientific work (most of the time) until the next report comes out! People can't make up their mind if coffee is good or bad for you and both have a long list of reasons supporting their argument. I find it all quite interesting!

I love evidence, research and facts. I planned to go to law school and be a lawyer, until I came to my senses! But seriously, I'm not downplaying the need for apologetics in Biblical Faith. I absolutely love it. Ravi Zacharias is an author and speaker who is one of my favorite men to listen to. What I am raising as just as important is the very real and powerful impact of the living God working in the human heart. Of this I have no doubt. This heart has been absolutely transformed and continues to undergo surgery almost every day under the gentle but powerful hands of her creator and Lord, Jesus Christ.

And Jesus, who was either a liar, lunatic or the LORD (if you read in "Evidence that Demands A Verdict", the author brings this forth in a thought provoking way), said, "Blessed are those who believe but have not yet seen." No, not yet have I seen the face of God. And yet, I have. I've seen His miracles in my life and I've evidenced His power.

So if I find out, through various sources that he was actually born in April instead of December, who cares? The point is - He was born. What are we going to do about it? All the words He spoke were weighty and penetrate the soul. They require a response. Maybe that's why scholars work so hard to find something that would mar or taint this man or other Biblical accounts. Then no response is required if it's all a load of crock. And Yet, He claimed He wants to be LORD of your heart. Either that or He is a liar, a lunatic? So He was born, whether in April or December, it may not be fully clear. Whether a cave or a house manger is not clear either. But He was born. He was born and now I live - I've felt and seen His powerful love transform and mold my hard heart.

And as for me and the rest of my days, I want to continue to respond. Yes, I want to hear and observe the reports, research the facts and look at the evidence. But I also want Him to continue to change my heart. Forever grateful that He already has and will continue to work in me until I see Him face to face. Until then, "blessed are you who have not seen and yet believe."

http://www.crosswalk.com/who-is-jesus/

No comments:

Post a Comment